Happy New Year friends!! I hope you had a wonderful holiday season and feel motivated, excited and rested for the new year ahead.
When I started thinking about what I want for myself and my family in the new year, I couldn't help but be drawn to this idea that in order to have a happy, successful and creative year, it all starts with an inspiring home. To me this means a tidy space that is a place we crave to spend our time. It's a space that tells the story of our family, what we like and our personal style. Pretty much what root + dwell is all about.
There are some steps we are taking to do this, but before I share that I'm going to share the WHY? (These are all just my thoughts and feelings)
1. Clear mind. To me a clean, tidy home equals a clear mind. It gives us space both physically and mentally which is so important in all tasks of our life.
2. Happiness. Organization leads to happiness...and more time! Less shuffling through things to find specific items and more time for joy. I think this also lessens stress, which is always a positive thing!
3. Inspires creativity. When we're not worrying about constantly tidying, we have the freedom to dream, plan and create!
4. Increases productivity. Same as above—less energy focused on clutter and things around us that don't make us happy or represent ourselves, and more energy to do the things we want to do.
Can you relate to any of these points above? They may seem kind of redundant, because they all leads to positive things that allow for joy. Read on below for the "how".
Now here's the HOW. These are just thinga that we are doing, so it can be a starting point or inspiration for how you decide to reset and bring joy to your home this year.
This step to me just cannot be overlooked! Once things are in their place and have a home, it's much easier to keep your space clutter-free. I totally recommend reading Spark Joy if you haven't already! You can also take this time to donate items you know longer use to make room for any new things you received for the holidays. For kids, it helps to store away some old toys to allow space for the new, and swap in a few months for a nice rotation.
This is a good time to also put away your holiday decor if you haven't yet.
2. Mini spring clean.
Now that everything is tidy and put away, it will be much easier to do an actual cleaning. I don't know about you but there is nothing quite like a sparkling, clean home to me! It just feels fresh and happy :)
3. Replace holiday decor.
I LOVE decorating for the seasons, so in place of all the Christmas decor I will put some wintery things.
4. Something new and exciting.
Personally a new or rearranged room, set of pieces, etc. brings so much joy to the home! Some examples are new pillows and throws for the couch, creating a spa-like bathroom by bringing out your candles and coziest towels, a few new plants to place throughout the home or a new shelving or bookcase for your office. We decided to collect some new pieces for the mantle and use some items we already have to make it wintery and cozy! We also got a new plant to replace the Christmas tree :)